Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Highlights from my day


The best (and most important) way to start the day is eating breakfast! Did you know that if you go 12 hours without eating your metabolism decreases by 40% if that isn't enough reason for you to make a few minutes for breakfast I don't know what will!
One of my favorite things to make in a hurry is whole wheat toast with apple butter. You can use any whole wheat bread but make sure to look at the labels because some are still pretty high in calories and fat. I am currently using Sara Lee Multi Grain, it has only 90 calories and 1.5g of fat! Apple Butter is also great, only 30 calories 0 fat and 6g of sugar. I eat this all the time and it is great because it is fast and I can eat it in the car!

Something that you will discover about me is that I am a master at making leftovers into brand new meals. For lunch I brown rice- cooked in the microwave with water and a few splashes of garlic vinaigrette (My favorite dressing) I also threw in some left over grilled onions and some almond accents- I cooked it with the rice so it would be crunchy but not to hard. I also fried 2 egg whites and chopped them up and threw them in. It tasted much better than even I thought it would! It was like my own version of healthy fried rice :) This whole meal was delicious, nutritious and filling for only 300 calories!
Back to the garlic vinaigrette- It sounds nasty and trust me I didn't want to try it at first but the fact that it is only 55 calories per serving I decided to give it a try and I fell in love! I put it on everything! Chicken, pasta, rice, salad, veggies, It's so good and much healthier than most dressings and marinades! 


Wednesdays are usually busy for me and I don't have much time to work out, knowing this I decided to work out at work while the boys slept. I did Jillian Michaels Yoga, it is great! Jillian Michaels doesn't do anything half way! If you get one of her videos you know it is going to be a great workout! She uses yoga moves but adds movement to make the moves more difficult and burn more calories. I always feel great after I do this video I recommend all of her videos! 

I forgot to mention that I am training for my first 5k to take place on May 5! I am so excited! When I started working out I could barely even run one mile! I downloaded the Active.com Couch to 5k App on my iPhone and it is great! The app takes you through a nine week program and when you start you will jog for 1 minute and walk for 1 1/2 minutes, each week is three days and after each week it gets harder. I love the app because it has a timer and will tell me when to start running and when to start walking, also it pushes me harder than I would push myself. If you are not a runner but want to get started just start with a mile a day, once you can run/jog a mile with no trouble add more and definitely get the app! You will love it! It is $.99 but when you sign up for a 5k from the app you get $1 off so it is practically free! I might also mention that I am now up to running 4-5.5 miles at a time :) Today I ran 3.10 after I got off work because my 5k is creeping up and I need to kick it up a notch!


Back to talking about leftovers! Last night I made a yummy Mexican inspired dish and it was so easy! I chopped on 3 chicken breast and cooked it in a big pan, when it was just about done I added a jar of salsa and let it simmer in the chicken for a few minutes then put 2 bags of frozen Mexican veggies and a little bit of water, covered it with a lid and let it cook until the veggies were soft I mixed in 2 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice and mixed it together. Tonight I was in a hurry and wanted to eat the left overs but there was not quite enough for a meal so I mixed it in with some chopped romaine lettuce with no dressing! It didn't even need any! I don't have a picture of my salad but here is what it looked like last night.

If you have any questions or comments just leave me a comment! I am thrilled to share my way to fit with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment