Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My first 5k!

I am a little behind on this considering this 5k was over a month ago but I kept getting distracted and wanted to write about other things.
My first 5k was the flying pig 5k! If you live in the Cincinnati area you know that the flying pig is without a doubt the largest running event in Cincinnati. All in one weekend they have a 5k, 10k, a few kids runs, half marathon and a marathon! I was so excited for this to be my first ever 5k!
I was very anxious as the time of closer, knowing that I've been working for 3 months towards this goal! As I walked up towards the finish line 20 minutes before the race started I could see people lining up to start a long with families waiting along the side stacking their spots to see their love ones cross the start line. My mom and I found a location for her to stand and wait for me to pass so she could get a picture. After stretching out and running a few blocks to warm up I headed towards the start line. My heart starts racing with excitement and I knew that this was my moment, this is the moment I've worked for, this is the moment I thought I would never make it to. My eyes started to tear up a little thinking about how hard I have worked and how far I have come. As the race Coordinators were talking I wasn't really listening because I was so excited! The only thing I really heard them say was 5..4..3..2..1.. Then the sound of the horn and everyone took off. Here we go! This is it! I started my way around the city keeping a moderate pace. I started getting tired around the second mile and I look to the right and could see the finish line across the way. I pushed myself until I couldn't go any further then I thought about the finish line and I pushed even further. As I turned the corner at the 3 mile point I knew I was close! One .10 miles left!! There was a sign that said your almost there! Hightail it to the finish line! So I did!! I ran faster than I ever have before! I could see the finish line! I started running even faster! There were tons of people cheering as I approached the finish line and finally I was there! I crossed the finish line! I did it! I finished my first 5k! I was on top of the world! I could accomplish anything! After the race they had tons of free food and an after party with pancakes from first watch! I got my time printed out and I was one second faster than my goal time of 12 minutes a mile landing me at 11:59 minutes per mile! I know that's great but for my first 5k I thought it was pretty good :)
Here are some of my pictures from the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment