Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A family affair

(sorry I've been MIA for a few days.. I have been busy this week! Yesterday was my 22 birthday!) If you know me and are around me often you know that my life has made a huge change in the last few months, but for those that don't I will explain. Before I "became healthy" I had very low self esteem and hated the way my body looked, I dreaded working out (and rarely did), and eating healthy was expensive and tasteless (which I will talk more about later and show you that those statements are untrue).
When my sister asked me why now? Why after all this time do you just decide to get healthy? I sat in silence for a minute and told her that I got to the point where I looked in the mirror and got so disgusted with how I looked and was tired off complaining about it and never doing anything about it and I knew something needed to change. We both laughed but it was completely true.I started going to the gym and began to love it! It made me feel refreshed (and a little sweaty) and energized! I couldn't wait to go to the gym everyday! I was already starting to feel better about my self.
After about a month of my new lifestyle people started noticing (you can notice from day one but it is great when those around you start to notice!) My family (who has not always taught a healthy lifestyle, cake and pop was an acceptable breakfast in our household) started taking notice and my mom starting buying stuff like brown rice instead of white and whole wheat pasta instead of white pasta. My family would ask me things about certain foods and what was healthy etc. I was thrilled that they were taking interest in their own health!
All of this was great but the best part of all of this is that my mom who has never been to the gym got a gym membership! I had the honor of going with her on her first day at the gym. She only worked out for about 35 minutes the first time and increases her time each time she goes, I am so proud of her! She is a great example to anyone that says its to late to start focusing on your health. It is never to late! YOU can take control of your life, all you have to do is get started!
My sister is also planning to join the gym this month! I am so happy that my new lifestyle has rubbed off on my family and I hope that I can be an example to everyone that thought they could never do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment