Thursday, February 20, 2014

Steak and Being Thrifty (A New Link Up!!)


If you read my recipes you will probably discover that I'm a cheapskate thrifty shopper, so I am just as shocked as you are that I made steak for dinner last night.
 
EVERY time I go to Kroger or Walmart I check out the meat section to see what they have discounted.
I NEVER pay full price for meat. Ever.
Well one day while I was at Kroger probably just running in for milk I stopped by the meat section and to my surprise they had Angus steaks marked down! YIPPEE!! Kroger usually has a lot of pork market down but every once in awhile you can find something great!
I grabbed 2 of those suckers and did the happy dance all the way home! Ok not really but we can pretend.
I put all my meat in the freezer until I am ready to use it, this is especially important if you buy mark down meat because it may be close to expiration, I have never had an issue with the taste being off because of being frozen.
With my first piece I made beef stew.. Sadly I didn't document that :(
But last night I made steak with roasted potatoes and green beans.
I used this recipe.
Yum.. Makes your mouth water doesn't it?
 
Mmm.. Perfect.
 
I used a mix of potatoes and sweet potatoes, cut them and put them in a large zip lock bag and marinated them in Italian dressing and Italian seasoning, right before I put them in the oven I added some basil and garlic powder. I think I cooked them for about 40 minutes on 400.
 



Mmm.. I want more!
This whole meal cost about $5
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 photo signature.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Kroger has some of the best meat in town! And usually great prices. This looks delicious! And way to be thrifty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too thrifty, so I won't be linking up- yet! Someday I hope to be.

    I will have to check out the marked down meat. I hadn't even thought about meat being on sale. I usually buy meat in bulk, but steaks and stuff don't come that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on buying meat! We mostly use chicken at our house since that is usually the cheapest meat I can find at the store. Rare is the day when I use beef! (But I think my husband always likes those days we do!) What a fun link up! I'm excited to see other's thrifty ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting the link up! I like to try and make meatless meals at least once a week! It saves money and it healthy ! I also use ground beef in a lot of recipes because of the price!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, man, it makes me wish I was frugal like you!! But that steak does look delicious. I miss finding supermarket sales...England doesn't really do that :(

    ReplyDelete