Monday, August 12, 2013

My new favorite go to recipe!

Veggie Quesadillas
and
Taco Soup
Recently I have been trying to cut back on how much meat we eat, I aim to make at least 2 meatless meals a week.
I want you to think about how much meat your family goes through, and now think about how much money you could save if you cut back on meat.
We buy organic or Amish chicken which ranges from $3-$3.50/lb and we typically cook 1 pound for dinner (but normally eat 1/2 and Jason normally takes any leftovers to work).
Lets say you cut out your meat for 1 meal a week.
that would save you about $3 a week
 I know this doesn't seem like much but if you did this 4 times in one month that would be $14
(that might not be a lot to you but I could probably make 4 entire meatless meals for less than $14)
ok now lets say you do this 4 times a month for a whole year you would save $168!!
do it 8 times a month.. you save $336 Ahhhh!!!!!
 
I would like to write more about why I have made this change and why I only buy organic/Amish but I will save that for another post.. For now lets just get to this yummy recipe!
 
A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to make some meatless quesadillas.. And not just cheese and tortilla.
 
I went to the kitchen to see what I had.
black beans
corn
onions
bell pepper
cilantro
alright sounds good to me!
 
I rinsed the beans
cut the onions
threw in some bell peppers that were already cut and frozen
added some frozen corn and cooked it all up!
(I did this so it wouldn't have to cook forever in the tortilla and all the stuff inside would be evenly cooked)

mmmm doesn't that look delicious??

 
I put the tortilla in the skillet and piled some cheese on
then I put the filling on and sprinkled some chopped cilantro and more cheese then topped it with another tortilla


 
**let it cook until the cheese is melted on the bottom half**
this is very important if you don't want the quesadilla to fall apart when you flip it!
Once both sides are cooked the way you like it and the cheese is melted its ready!


 
These are seriously sooo good and so filling!


hubby approves! This is the best picture I could get.. He was to busy chowing down
 
Ok now here is where it gets even more fun!
When I made these I had a little bit of the filling left over and I was packing it up and thought..
hmm.. this would make a great soup!
I used all of the above ingredients and added
tomato sauce
Ro*tel tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes and 1/2 a can of diced chilies
1/2 a packet of taco seasoning
Water

 
 
 
happy cooking!!
 
 
 
link up with Life of Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment