Friday, September 6, 2013

Good 'ole chicken and dumplings

As y'all know I made a whole chicken and have been stretching it for multiple meal over the last 2 weeks.
Well I'm not done yet!
I have another recipe from that chicken!
Grandma's chicken and dumplings!
I really love chicken and dumplings.
I knew I wanted to make chicken and dumplings but I didn't want to make just any chicken and dumplings, I wanted to make the good 'ole fashion, everything made from scratch, the way our grandmas made it back in the day.
So what did I do? I went to Facebook, I asked everyone for their best recipes, but of course I had to go with Jason's grandmas recipe.
I love this recipe, it is so simple yet so delicious.
So let me get to it..
 
Start by boiling some chicken broth (I used a whole 32oz container and about half a mason jar [pint size] of homemade broth)

 
While the broth is warming up start making your dumplings
 
Mix in all your dry ingredients together
1 1/2 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
 
Add just enough milk to form a ball about 3/4-1 cup
Mine isn't quite a ball but it at least clumped up and it worked for me
 
Drop the small balls into BOILING broth.
Make sure they are small because they will expand as you cook.
 
And the broth boils much faster when you put the dough in
Cook uncovered about 10 minutes and covered about 20 minutes
I didn't actually use all the dough but if you use more broth you could use it all.
 
I also added some salt and pepper to taste and about a T of butter
 

 
And its ready to eat! Yum!
 
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 

2 comments: